Skip to main content
Topic: Flashing coolant light (Read 314 times) previous topic - next topic

Flashing coolant light

My coolant warning light began flashing constantly on the way back from Tatton Park.
The coolant level is fine and the gauge is reading normal temperatures.
I tried disconnecting the level sensor connector but the light didn't go out.

I tried it again the next day and the warning light went out on startup and didn't come back on after a 10 minute drive.

Now the warning light is flashing constantly. Is the sensor next to the thermo switch the likely culprit?

Re: Flashing coolant light

Reply #2
I had this problem as the expansion bottle was a bit rough I replaced it and fixed the issue.

Reply #3
Disconnect the sensor wiring and bridge the contacts, if the light stops flashing then as above the sensor needs cleaning or replacing.

Reply #4
Thanks all, I will check the level sensor first.

I drove the car 25 miles to a show on Sunday and the warning light didn't come on when driving there.
On the drive home the light it was flashing all the time.

I drove it to work today and it wasn't flashing. It seems to be OK from cold, and then flashes when restarted.

Reply #5
I replaced the original level sensor with a new Febi one but it has made no difference.

It works OK from cold, but when it's hot the light starts flashing constantly.

Reply #6
There is a relay for the light, 43 iirc, pull that and see if it stops the flashing

Reply #7
I removed the 43 relay but unfortunately it made no difference to the flashing LED so I put it back.

Everything works normally until I restart the engine when it's warmed up – then the light flashes constantly until the engine is cold again.

If I take the car for a drive from cold and don't switch off the engine during the journey, then the light doesn't flash at all, apart from the usual few seconds at startup. The issue only happens when I restart the car with the engine up to normal operating temperature. The coolant temperature gauge is working, although on Sunday it seemed to be reading slightly higher than normal, which is usually bang in the middle, and the light was flashing constantly. The coolant is to the maximum and the car isn't overheating.